It is our motto to closely combine research, development, and teaching. This means in practice that lectures and projects do not end with an exam and should result in more than a grade. Conference papers, public presentations or awards regularly result from our teaching activities. We therefore decided to list such results as success stories here, as we strongly believe that this motivates new students to participate in our projects and lectures. We also include awards received by our staff members as they belong to the team as our students do.
Publications with and/or by students
- Hagen Höpfner, Andreas Thenn, and Maximilian Schirmer. Temporal aspects-based replacement in media object caches. In Karl-Heinz Krempels and José Cordeiro, editors, Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies (WEBIST 2012), Porto, Portugal, April 18-21, 2012, pages 7382, Setúbal, Portugal, April 2012. INSTICC, SciTePress. ISBN: 978-989-8565-08-2.
- Andreas Thenn. Temporale Aspekte beim inhaltsbasierten Cachen von mobilen Medienobjekten. In Peter M. Fischer, Hagen Höpfner, Joachim Klein, Daniela Nicklas, Bernhard Seeger, Tobias Umblia, and Matthias Virgin, editors, Proceedings BTW 2011 - Workshops und Studierendenprogramm, 1. März 2011, Kaiserslautern, Germany, pages 115118. Technische Universität Kaiserslautern, 2011. in German.
- Christoph Halang and Maximilian Schirmer. Towards a User-centered Planning Algorithm for Automated Scheduling in Mobile Calendar Systems. In Proceedings of the 42nd annual conference of the German computer society (Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. (GI)), September 16-21, 2012, Braunschweig, Germany, Lecture Notes in Informatics (LNI), Bonn, Germany, 2012. accepted for publication, forthcoming.
Project "Mobile Sensor Data Visualisation"
- Hagen Höpfner, Maximilian Schirmer, Christoph Halang, Frank Urbainsky, Bastian Karge, and Klemens Berlet.SmartVis: Smartphone Sensor Data Visualization. In Adjunct Proceedings of the 7th International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Modeling and Using Context 2011 (CONTEXT11); September 26-30, 2011, Karlsruhe, Germany.
Project "MyBand App Framework"
- Hagen Höpfner, Jonas Pencke, David Wiesner, and Maximilian Schirmer. Towards a Target Platform Independent Specification and Generation of Information System Apps. ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes, 36(4), July 2011. ISSN: 0163-5948.
- Jonas Pencke, David Wiesner, Hagen Höpfner, and Maximilian Schirmer. Informationsanbieterzentrierte Spezifikation und Generierung von Informationssystem-Apps. In Wolfgang Gassler, Eva Zangerle, and Guenther Specht, editors, Proceedings of the 23. Workshop on Foundations of Databases (Grundlagen von Datenbanken); 31.05.-03.06.2011, Obergurgl, Tirol, Austria, volume 733 of CEUR Workshop Proceeding, pages 6771. CEUR-WS.org, May 2011. in German, ISSN: 1613-0073.
- November 16th, 2011, Maximilian Schirmer won the first prize for the presentation of his poster on "Energy Awareness for Context-aware Mobile Computing" in the poster contest during the"Wissenschaftstag 2011" symposium of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar. Furthermore, the poster was ranked on 4th place (of 12) in the competition for the best poster design.
- October 12th, 2011, Jonas Pencke and David Wiesner officially received the Hochschulpreis during the university's matriculation ceremony.
- June 29th, 2011, Jonas Pencke and David Wiesner were awarded with the special award of the city of Weimar (Sonderpreis der Stadt Weimar) at this year's ideas competition Jena-Weimar (Ideenwettbewerb Jena-Weimar).
"Visible" study results
- March 2012: Gnomobile, the result of a student project conducted in winter term 2011/2012 by Patrick Oscity and Markus Postrach, can be download for free from Apples AppStore.
- November 2011: BMWi accepted our exist proposal and funds the start-up. The MyBandApp project was a research project conducted by the Mobile Media Group in the winter term 2010/2011 at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar. After winning certain awards Jonas Pencke and David Wiesner together with two business administration colleagues and Andreas Thenn, who wrote his master's thesis in our group, now continue their success story as apphoria. The start-up process is supervised by Juniorprofessor Dr. Hagen Höpfner.
- Andreas Thenn's paper on "Temporale Aspekte beim inhaltsbasierten Cachen von mobilen Medienobjekten" (using temporal aspects for content bases caching of mobile media objects) has been selected for a presentation at the 6th student workshop that took place in conjunction with the 14th conference on business, technology, and web (BTW 2011) in Kaiserslautern, Germany on March 1st, 2011. The presented work is part of the master thesis Andreas was working on in our group.