The Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG) helps students pay for their university education. The goal of BAföG is to give young people, regardless of their social circumstances, the chance to gain an education that suits their personal abilities and interests.
The amount of financial aid awarded by BAföG depends on the student’s personal income and equity, as well as the income earned by his/her parents. The maximum funding period corresponds to the standard period of study prescribed by the student’s degree programme.
BAföG funding is comprised in equal part of an interest-free government loan and a public grant.
For more information about BAföG, application procedures and repayment modalities, please visit the website of the Studierendenwerk Thüringen or contact the responsible representative in Weimar.
Students can also receive financial assistance in the form of scholarships. Scholarships are awarded to students in recognition of outstanding academic achievement or extraordinary social commitment. Students at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar can apply for the following scholarships:
Scholarships for Students
- Bauhaus Scholarship for students (after the 1st semester)
- Bauhaus Degree Completion Scholarships
- President's Scholarship for dedicated international students
- Deutschlandstipendien (Germany Scholarship)
- STIBET Study Completion Grant
For Study abroad:
- PROMOS scholarship by the DAAD for foreign study and internship
- ERASMUS scholarship for foreign European internship
- ERASMUS scholarship for study abroad
- Fulbright scholarship for study abroad in the USA
- EILC language course scholarship for ERASMUS students (less common languages)
- LEONARDO scholarship for foreign European internship
Scholarships for Graduates, Ph.D. and postdoc candidates
- Start-Up Scholarships for a Doctorate
- Thüringer Graduiertenförderung - Post graduate funding for doctoral and artistic-design projects
- Bauhaus Doctoral Scholarships
- Equal opportunity Re-Entry scholarship - for Doctoral candidates returning from family leave
- Doctoral Degree Completion Scholarships
- STIBET Teaching/Research-Assistantship for international doctoral candidates
- Postdoc Scholarships
We look forward to receiving your application!
A part-time job can be a good way to finance your studies. Many students seek employment as student assistants in their departments and in the central university facilities. Be sure to check the job openings which are regularly posted by the university.
You can also find other job openings on the job portal operated by the Careers Service and at the Studierendenwerk Thüringen. As a student, you are allowed to earn as much as you wish. However, there are some income restrictions which apply to eligibility requirements for social benefits and financial aid, e.g. BAföG or children’s allowance. Please bear in mind, however, that excessive hours or long commutes to work may significantly prolong your studies or negatively influence your academic performance.
International students are only permitted to work in Germany with a work permit. The work permit allows you to work 120 full days (1 day = 8 hours), which can be spread out over 240 half-days (1/2 day = 4 hours). This allows you to work during semester breaks. You should also keep in mind that if you earn more than 450 Euro a month, you will be subject to higher health insurance premiums.
You should also keep in mind that a job not related to your field of study can have a significant effect on the duration of your studies and cost additional time and energy. It is advisable to find a part-time job in your field, which offers practical experience for you and your subsequent transition to a
You can also secure financing through educational loans and grants. There is now a relatively large selection of grants and loans which offer students exceptionally favourable conditions. The requirements and conditions of eligibility vary to such an extent that we recommend personal consultation in advance.
For contact data and more information, please visit the website of the Studierendenwerks Thüringen.