The small Van-de-Velde-Building (Photo: Jonas Tegtmeyer)
The small Van-de-Velde-Building (Photo: Jonas Tegtmeyer)

Designed by Henry van de Velde for the Grand Ducal Saxon School of Arts and Crafts, this smaller building was constructed from 1905 to 1906 and was used by the State Bauhaus of Weimar between 1919 and 1925. In addition to classrooms and studios, it now houses the Faculty of Art and Design of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.

The interior design of the Van de Velde Building is remarkable for its unconventional lighting of the central staircase and three restored murals, originally made for Bauhaus Exhibition in 1923 by the Bauhaus master Oskar Schlemmer.

UNESCO World Heritage Bauhaus and its Sites in Weimar, Dessau and  Bernau