Am I eligible? My bachelor degree has a cumulative GPA of ‚X’.

Your grades matter, but their importance should not be overestimated.

If we are convinced of your ability to perform independent scientific work, we will probably accept your application. A well-written Bachelor's Thesis, or some other scientific work of yours, is the evidence we are looking for. 

Given such evidence, we may accept your application, even if your grades are only average. Without such evidence, we will reject your application.  

To top

Am I eligible? Here are my University Transcript and/or my Bachelor's Thesis!

We do not generally answer this question without a formal application. After reviewing your complete application package, we will be able to decide about admission.

To top

What IELTS Score for English do I need?

We require an overall score of 6.0 on the IELTS scale (for details, see our website on application to the program you are interested). In general, we expect adequate passive and active language proficiency both in written and spoken English in order for you to successfully follow the program. A better score improves the chances of your application being considered (see above).

Your IELTS score must still be valid.

Alternative language certificates are listed on the ‘Application’ information webpage for the program you are applying for, but IELTS is the most common.

To top

I studied in English, do I still need to provide a language certificate?

The teaching language is not sufficient for us. Only if the country where you studied is English-speaking, then no language certificate is needed. If in doubt (e.g. you have already studied for several years in an English speaking country) please contact us.

If you have further questions about language certificates, contact our Department of Study and Education / International Applications, Johanna Theuerkauf johanna.theuerkauf[at]uni-weimar.de.

To top

What background do I need for the Computer Science for Digital Media program?

You should have a Bachelor of Science in a Computer Science related program e.g., Computer Science or Software Engineering or "Medieninformatik". Excellent students from other technical areas may be considered, if they have sufficiently many classes in subjects related to Computer Science.

As mentioned above, what is important is your ability to produce academic work. If you are from outside the European Union, you should submit your Bachelors' Thesis or some other academic report or paper you have written.

Beyond that, you need solid programming skills and a good understanding of Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science. As the teaching language is English, mastering written and spoken English is important.

Note:  if you are fairly close to our entry requirements, we may accept you on condition that you do extra stipulated courses/credits in addition to the normal programme in order to make up for any gaps in your education profile (depending on whether such classes are on offer).

To top


I am an international student from outside the European Union. Shall 
I upload my Bachelor's Thesis?

If it has been written in either English or German, please do so!
To accept your application, we must see your Bachelor's Thesis — or some other piece of original academic work. In other words, we are looking for evidence that you have some experience in producing original academic work. 

It is very important that students, including those from outside Europe, have a basic understanding of academic work when they enter the Master’s programme. Our Master's programme is about advancing our students' original academic thinking; students who begin without knowledge of basic academic principles are likely to struggle.

To top

What if my Bachelor's Thesis has been written in neither English nor 

Please upload your Bachelor's Thesis together with an additional 
abstract of at least four pages written in English.

To top

I am not allowed to send you my Bachelor's Thesis for copyright reasons. 
What shall I do?

Please don't violate any copyright laws! If you are prohibited from uploading 
your Bachelor's Thesis, please upload an abstract of at least four pages, 
written in English.

To top

I am a prospective student from outside the European Union and have not 
written a Bachelor's Thesis. Can I submit something different?

We do not attach too much importance to the word "Thesis". You can, for 
example, upload the final report of one of your projects, or some paper you 
have presented at an academic workshop


What we care about is that the evidence you provide shows that you have done 
some original academic work. If you have any document you have written which 
demonstrates your academic abilities, please upload this document. 

If the document is written in a language other than English or German, or if 
you cannot upload it for copyright reasons, please upload an abstract of at 
least four pages instead.

Please do not submit more than one such document. Try to select the single
paper of yours which you consider best demonstrates your academic 
abilities. We will invest our time in reviewing your application, but we will 
not read more than one paper of yours.

To top

I am a prospective student from outside the European Union and I have 
written neither a Bachelor's Thesis nor any other academic paper or 
report. Can I still apply for your Computer Science for Digital Media programme?

Please don't do that! We will reject your application.

To top

Why are you so strict about a Bachelor's Thesis or any other scientific 
paper or report?

We want our students to excel in our programme – not fail!

Bachelor’s degrees and the requirements they make can vary widely from country to country. We wish to be sure that applicants have a background which is relevant to the German academic system. They should be able to work independently in an academic context.

To top

Apart from my Bachelor's Thesis, or any other report or paper I did write, 
what else do you consider?

In order of relevance, other criteria for accepting your application are:

  • How close is your degree to our entry requirements? 

    (See "Q: What background do I need?")

  • How good are your academic grades in classes relevant to the programme you 
are applying for?

  • How good are the scores in your English test, beyond our minimum threshold? 
(Good English scores indicate good chance in succeeding in in English-taught courses.)

  • How good are your grades on average (i.e. how good is your GPA)?
To top


I am a student from Germany or from within the European Union. 
Should I upload my Bachelor's Thesis?

You can do so, but you don't need to. As a matter of fact, in Germany as in 
most other European countries, the core of a Bachelor's programme in Computer 
Science, Media Informatics and all related fields is an introduction to the 
basics of academic work. So we consider your Bachelor's degree per se as 
sufficient evidence for your basic understanding of this.

To top

I am a student form Germany or from within the European Union.
 On what grounds will you accept my application?

In order of relevance, the main criteria for accepting your application are:

  • How close is your degree to our entry requirements?
    (See "Q: What background do I need?")
  • How good are your academic grades in classes relevant to the programme you are applying for?
  • How good are the scores in your English test, beyond our minimum thereshold?
    (Good English scores indicate good chance in succeeding in in English-taught courses.)
  • How good are your grades on average (i.e. how good is your GPA)?
To top


How do I apply?

Please log in to the uni-assist portal and start your application. Please direct all your questions regarding the application procedure to uni-assist after reading the webpage carefully.


To top

When should I apply?

You should apply as early as possible, especially if you need to obtain a visa for Germany.

It is necessary to be in Weimar when the semester starts as it is difficult to catch up otherwise. If you arrive more than 2 weeks late, you may not be able to join some classes anymore. Before the start of the semester, in order to find accommodation and deal with any official paperwork, so you can focus on your studies once teaching starts.

Your acceptance to the program usually is valid for a full year. This means that if your visa is delayed, you can still start in the following semester. Or you can apply well in advance.

Visa applications are sovereign matters and we are not in the position to interfere. Questions about visa should be directed at the German embassy that is responsible for your visa process.

To top

How long does it take to process my application?

This can take anything between days and several weeks, depending on the number of things that are being checked. We try to process as fast as possible, but there are several departments involved besides of the Uni-Assist portal.

To top

I have submitted my thesis but have not received my final certificate yet. Can I apply?

You can only apply with your final certificate. We need your final grade for the evaluation of your application. If just one final semester is missing please send the academic transcript. But you will have to hand in the complete transcript and final degree right before enrolment in order to start studies.

To top

When do I need to provide the certificate for English?

You need to hand in your proof of English right before enrolment.

To top

Do I really need to provide a 'Proof of Removal from the Register'?

German students need to provide their 'Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung' as they can't be registered at two Universities simultaneously.
Foreign students should ask their home University if this proof can be provided. Often your bachelor certificate will be sufficient. If we need further documentation, you will be contacted.

To top

What do I need for my Visa? X is missing - can I apply for a visa?

You need the letter of admission (LOA) for your visa application. It is important to know that the scan of the LOA is sufficient for starting the procedure and get a first appointment in the German embassy.

To top


How many years is the study program?

The masters program takes a minimum of 4 semesters (2 years). If you are admitted with stipulations of doing additional courses, this might extend your studies depending on the number of extra credits and your speed of studying. With more than one extra course, you will most likely need at least five semesters. Even without stipulations, do not assume you will finish within exactly four semesters, as something can always go wrong (e.g. failing exams and having to redo them, getting sick and needing an extension…).

To top

Are there study fees?

There are no study fees in Germany. There is only an administrative fee per semester of about 160 € that each student regardless of origin has to pay.

To top

How long am I allowed to study?

The 4 semesters or 2 years of study are the normal length of study for a full-time student.

You can extend your visa in the Aliens Department of the City Administration Weimar. In the German embassy of your home country you will get a students visa for 3 month. After enrolment in Weimar you can extend this visa depending on the amount of money you can prove for your personal living expenditures.

To top

What is expected from me in order to successfully study in Weimar?

From the very start of the course, you must be able and willing to work and solve problems independently, without constant supervision. Learning by heart / by rote is not sufficient - you need to be able to think on your own and to be self-organized. This can present a challenge for some of our students.

Later in the program, you will also work in small project-groups and work collaboratively. At the end of the programme, you must be able to work both self-contained and as part of a team. We also expect you to be able to read scientific literature in English, and to write reports according to academic standards.

To top

Is the program in English?

Yes, the program is taught entirely in English.

To top

I have been accepted, but with stipulations/additional requirements. What does this mean?

These are classes that you need to do on top of the normal program. They should be heard and completed successfully as early as possible. They help you to catch up on topic areas that your education did not provide, but that we consider essential background before taking the more advanced master courses.

To top

Are there special rules for German students?

German students need to provide their 'Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung' as they can't be registered at two Universities simultaneously.
For German students, it is possible to start studies and to hand in final certificates of the prior bachelor degree up to 1 month after semester has started.

To top