Virtualization, Visualization and Validation of Urban and Structural Building Responses
The course content at a glance
In our two week intensive course »Forecast Engineering«, you will focus on the proficient handling of complex engineering tasks, using modern tools and finding their scientific positioning in existing interdisciplinary projects. A comprehensive grasp of special topics in civil engineering as well as the development of solutions by using modern methods and tools are some of the core aims of this course.
Investigating current developments & creating a digital twin
You will explore the current developments in structural engineering, aiming to create a realistic digital simulation (digital twin) in which the real behaviour of structure can be mirrored. The planning of these creations is based on static, but increasingly also on dynamic calculations – especially in the case of extreme loads. In addition to the traditional force-based approaches, the experience and observations on the deformation behaviour of individual components and the overall structure under different conditions allows for the introduction of new design and evaluation criteria.
Visualisation, modelling, reaction estimation, analysis, simulation methods & more
During the two weeks, the transfer of real existing buildings into different basic structural models will be discussed, comparing their robustness with respect to increasing abstractness and reduced dimensionality. In addition, the estimation of reaction properties under dynamic load and certain interaction effects will be addressed. You are going to and improve skills for visualising structural systems and validating the created models. You will learn how to use state-of-the-art design, analysis, and simulation methods as well as innovative technologies such as VR visualisation tools.
International expertise & on-site visits
We want to provide you with insights into current research projects and international development trends. Therefore, we have invited international experts from partner universities and recognised research institutions to share their knowledge with you during impulse lectures.
For an interesting glimpse into the engineering work on-site, the course furthermore includes excursions to building sites and/or leading companies.
The special character of this summer course is in the combination of basic disciplines of structural engineering with applied research projects in the areas of steel and reinforced concrete structures, earthquake engineering as well as informatics in civil engineering and their combination with mathematical methods or modern visualization tools. The broad spectrum of civil/structural engineering in the field of virtualization, visualization, simulation and validation is emphasized here.
The modular structure of the course allows to link projects into subtasks and to present complex relationships in subproblems. The topics of the projects include:
- Methods of non-destructive testing, tomography, signal processing and interpretation;
- Automated condition assessment by aerial image interpretation with in-depth learning;
- Use of Building Information Modeling (BIM) in civil engineering;
- Numerical analyses of the stability of load-bearing structures;
- Assessment of the load-bearing behaviour of reinforced concrete frames with masonry infill under exceptional horizontal loads;
- Use of polymer-modified concretes for innovative refurbishment solutions.
The focus here is on structures under extreme conditions, which are increasingly coming to the fore due to current events and climatic consequences and to anticipate the future requirements.
The current state of the art in the above-mentioned topics will be presented in the lectures and supplemented by individual guest lectures of international experts. Special topics on the individual subject areas will be developed together with the participants within the framework of group project. Moreover, complex and technically challenging engineering questions will be answered through interdisciplinary cooperation among the participating members.
Young scientists, master students and doctoral candidates in the various fields of civil and structural engineering or any other equivalent courses of study.
Prerequisite for participation, in addition to adequate English skills, are the submission of a meaningful motivation letter and an abstract with respect to current personal scientific activity which mediates the interest or the ability to enhance the project theme.
Dr.-Ing. Lars Abrahamczyk
- since 2010 coordinator and project manager of the specialised course from the Faculty of Civil Engineering at the Bauhaus Summer School
Lecturers, Involved Departments and Partners:
- Chair of Computer Vision in Engineering Prof. Dr.-Ing. Volker Rodehorst
- Chair of Steel and Hybrid Construction Prof. Dr.-Ing. Matthias Kraus
- Chair of Stochastics and Optimization Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Tom Lahmer
- Chair of Intelligent Technical Design Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christian Koch
- Chair of Advanced Structures Jun.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Lars Abrahamczyk
- Research Center: EDAC Dr.-Ing. Jochen Schwarz
- Professur Bauchemie und Polymere Werkstoffe am F.A. Finger-Institut für Baustoffkunde Dr.-Ing. Alexander Flohr
1. Online Registration
The first step is you online registration. Please fill in all data necessary. After completing your registration, you will receive a confirmation via mail.
After your registration, please send us your application documents for the course of your choice as one PDF file via email. Application deadline is 15 June 2021. The application needs to contain the following documents:
- Application letter (please use this template)
- Curriculum vitae | max. two pages
- English language certificate | at least level B1 or comparable
- Letter of motivation | Why did you choose this course? - max. 500 words
- Abstract: with respect to current personal scientific activity - max. 1000 words (please use this template)
Please note the following points:
- Send us the documents as one PDF file of max. 5 MB
- Email with subject »Application [COURSE TITLE]«
- Name of PDF file »[COURSE TITLE]_family name_first name«
Please note: Only complete and correctly named applications will be consideres!
3. Selection Process
All applicants will receive admission notification as soon as possible via e-mail. In case of a positive answer and your final confirmation you will receive the invoice which you will have to pay within 10 days. If applicants fail to do this, spots will be given to others on the waiting list.
If you need a VISA, we recommend you to get informed now about the requirements and to make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country.
A maximum of 40 applicants will be selected to participate in this course.
For further information all around the Bauhaus Summer School feel free to check our FAQ.
Are you looking for accommodation for your stay in Weimar? Then look no further! Reserve a room with us!