The habilitation is a post-doctoral qualification which allows a scholar to become a full professor. The purpose of the procedure is formally to demonstrate the qualification for autonomous research and academic work in the chosen field of expertise, and to gain the necessary teaching skills.
The Bauhaus-Universität Weimar authorises the Faculty of Media to confer the right to add “habil.” to the doctoral degree as follows:
- Computer Science and Media: Dr. rer. nat. habil.; Dr.-Ing. habil.
- Media Management: Dr. rer. pol. habil.
- Media Studies: Dr. phil. habil.
Furthermore, the authorisation to teach (venia legendi) can also be conferred on written request. On conferral of the venia legendi, the candidate is permitted to use the appellation “Privatdozent” (PD).
The habilitation regulations determine the admissions requirements and the entire habilitation procedure. The Habilitation Committee constituted by the Faculty Board is responsible for assessing written and oral performance, as well as for appraising pedagogical skills. On the basis of the recommendation of the Habilitation Committee, the Faculty Board decides on the conferral of both the habilitation and the authorisation to teach (venia legendi).
Brief overview of habilitation requirements
1. Post-doctoral thesis
2. Academic discourse with oral examination (colloquium)
3. Public lecture
Brief overview of habilitation procedure
1. Request in writing for admission and, if desired, for the conferral of authorisation to teach (venia legendi)
2. Commencement of the habilitation process
3. Decision on the assessors’ reports
4. Admission to the academic discourse with oral examination (colloquium)
5. Recommendation on the conferral / non-conferral of the habilitation
6. Decision on the conferral of the habilitation and, if requested, of the authorisation to teach (venia legendi)
7. Public lecture
8. Publication of the post-doctoral thesis
9. Handover the habilitation certificate and, if requested, the certificate for the authorisation to teach (venia legendi)
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Anja Loudovici, phone: +49(0)3643-58 37 00 or e mail: anja.loudovici[at]uni-weimar.de. Please send applications in writing to the dean Prof. Dr. Volker Rodehorst by standard mail to: