When can I begin my studies?

As a rule, students can only enrol for the winter semester after passing an aptitude test.

Do I need a school leaving certificate qualifying for university study?

For artistic or design-related degree programmes, the Faculty tests whether candidates possess the necessary skills to complete such a programme. After passing this aptitude test, applicants must then meet the general requirements for admission to the degree programme in question.

Can I study abroad during my degree programme?

Of course, it's possible to complete part of your degree programme abroad. The easiest way is to enrol as an exchange student at one of the universities with which the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar cooperates...

For more information about these partner universities, click here.

Where should I send my application?

Bauhaus-Universität Weimar

Fakultät Gestaltung
Sekretariat für Studienangelegenheiten
Geschwister-Scholl-Straße 7
99423 Weimar

What do I have to bear in mind when I send my application documents by mail from abroad?

Please mark mail from abroad as »application documents« to avoid unnecessary customs charges. 

What application documents are required?

How long will the application documents be stored?

Please pick up the documents you submitted after the objection period has ended. The documents can be picked up during the office hours of the Dean’s office (Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.). The documents may also be sent back to you by mail (stamps with a value of up to max. 4.30 EUR are required). After 5 months, the documents will be destroyed.

Do I need to complete a preparatory internship?

Although not necessary, any experience you can gain before proceeding with your studies would be highly beneficial.

When are the application deadlines?

  • Fine Art: March 31st of each year (postmarked)
  • Teaching Qualification (Secondary Education) in Art Education: March 31st of each year (postmarked)
  • Media Art and Design: March 31st of each year (postmarked)
  • Product-Design: March 31st of each year (postmarked)
  • Visual Communication: March 31st of each year (postmarked) 

Media Art and Design:

  • Bachelor of Fine Arts: March 31st of each year (postmarked) 
  • Master of Fine Arts; englisch tought study programme Media Art and Design (Master of Fine Arts): for winter semester May 15th of each year (postmarked); for summer semester January 31st of each year (postmarked)
  • study programme „Integrated International Media Art and Design Studies“ (IIMDS), Master of Fine Arts/Master of Literature: January 31st of each year (postmarked)

    Where can I live?

    To apply for a room in a student hall of residence, contact the Studierendenwerk Thüringen:

    Studierendenwerk Thüringen
    Anstalt des öffentlichen Rechts

    Postfach 10 08 22
    07708 Jena

    Administrative Office:
    Jakobsplan 1, 1st Floor

    Telefon +49(0)3643 / 58 16 60
    Telefax +49(0)3643 / 58 16 62

    Visit the website of the Studierendenwerk Thüringen

    Is there a numerus clausus?

    No, there is no numerus clausus on courses offered at the Faculty of Art and Design.