Based on the results of my previous work on the swing, my goal was now to derive a static principle from the calculated structures and to abstract the result as much as possible. The wooden version of the swing is the result of these reflections. This is the load principle that I derived from the…
Author: Leonie Fischer
I 3D printed my model in its actual size. Afterwards I filled in the hollow structure with a synthetic wax to make it a solid object. Now I could actually sit on my 3D printed swing!
To evolve the tetrahedral kite, we had the idea to cut off the outlines of the tetrahedral structure and think about an optimized inner structure instead. After we had rebuild the original kite we wanted to see how the use of the 3d printer would affect the result concerning weight and materiality.
The square involved the potential to rethink its archtypical cross-structure and to explore if we could find any possible optimization concerning the handling of the kite.
To get as much results and variation as possible we decided to split the topic into three objects of interest: The archetypical square kite, the so called delta kite and Bell’s tetrahedral kite.
During the next two weeks we will work on flying objects. We are approaching the task both, as an object of sko lightweight structure optimization as well as a programmable textile study, concerning the fabric parts of the kite. Lately we came across the studies of Dr. Bell who experimented with flying objects by combining…
I chose the second object im optimizing during this project according to specific goals and motivations. First, I was curious to explore and rethink an archetypical object, which should also be a product which I personally relate to. Second, I wanted to be able to control the calculation and design process so the complexity was…
This top view calculation in 2d is really enlightening for us as it shows that the construction of the bridge model has to hold itself by building a ring coming from two sides of the obstacle frames.
As our bridge is coming along we are trying to find parameters in the calculations we make. We are trying to draw conclusions which will help us as we build the actual prototype.
After multiple calculations in CAD (Rhino/Grasshopper) is this construction the outcome. We don’t know if we are going to copy the entire construction when we are building it in wood. Perhaps we don’t going the construct the upper bow at the beginning of the lowest fixation point. We think that this bow is only useful if the construction is made out one piece and not out of multiple wooden sticks.
We experimented with the use of Remove Design-Space so we could create a lighter construction.