Nicht's leichter als das!

Author: Florian Giele


To evolve the tetrahedral kite, we had the idea to cut off the outlines of the tetrahedral structure and think about an optimized inner structure instead. After we had rebuild the original kite we wanted to see how the use of the 3d printer would affect the result concerning weight and materiality.


The square involved the potential to rethink its archtypical cross-structure and to explore if we could find any possible optimization concerning the handling of the kite.


During the next two weeks we will work on flying objects. We are approaching the task both, as an object of sko lightweight structure optimization as well as a programmable textile study, concerning the fabric parts of the kite. Lately we came across the studies of Dr. Bell who experimented with flying objects by combining…

We ended up building three different structures in total, the third being kind of a mix between the diamond-shape first and the organically grown second one. While our first attempt was more like a hands-on-solution, we tried to use the results of our SKO-calculations in a second attempt. The (more or less) final structure could be seen as a result of our findings from the previous experiments and also meets our self-set standards of not using a second fixation and still managing the torsional forces over long distance.


Today we’ve tried a more detailed 3D-calculation in addition to the one made in 2D. Now we get a better impression for the construction which was suggested by the SKO-solver. Compared to the organic look from the first calculation, it’s now possible to see more detailed braces of the connections.