The State Bauhaus in Weimar represents an important chapter in the more than 150-year history of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar and an essential part of humanitys cultural heritage. In 1996, the »Bauhaus Sites in Weimar and Dessau« were officially added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage. In 2017, the ensemble was extended to »Bauhaus Sites in Weimar, Dessau and Bernau«.
In its official statement, the UNESCO justified its selection, stating »the Bauhaus, with its sites in Weimar (Thuringia) and Dessau (Saxony-Anhalt), represents the so-called Bauhaus school of architecture which, between 1919 and 1933, applied revolutionary ideas to building design and town planning. The buildings of the Bauhaus professors, from Walter Gropius to Hannes Meyer, Lazlo Moholy-Nagy to Wassily Kandinsky, founded the Bauhaus style, which made a decisive mark on the architecture of the 20th century.«