Open Access Publication Fund
At the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, publication costs (APCs) for articles published in Open Access journals have been financed by the DFG fund since the start of 2019.
Funding is available if:
- You are a member of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar and either the “submitting author” or “corresponding author” of the planned publication.
- The article is published in a purely Open Access journal whose articles can be accessed for free immediately after publication. Individual open-access articles in journals for which a subscription is required otherwise are not eligible for funding. The Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) provides an overview of eligible open access publications.
- The DFG funding can be used to cover publication costs of up to €2,000 (incl. VAT) per article. If the publication costs exceed €2,000 (incl. VAT), co-financing with DFG funds is not foreseen.
- The journal meets the scientific quality criteria for the subject in question.
- Authors publishing the results of third-party funded projects must check whether the publication costs can be covered by the third-party funding provided (e.g. flat-rate fee from the DFG to cover publication costs) and use this in full where available. Any difference in costs may be paid from the publication fund, provided all of the other criteria are met.
- Please acknowledge the funding in the acknowledgements. Sample wording: “We acknowledge the support of the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar within the Open-Access Publishing Programme” or “This article was funded by the Open-Access Publishing Programme of the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the publication fund of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar”.
- Following publication of your article, you must undertake to make the publisher version of the article available on OPUS Weimar, the publication server of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
How to apply for funding from the Open Access Publication Fund of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar:
1. Please first check whether you meet the funding criteria.
2. Use the online form or send an email to email@example.com to request the reimbursement of costs. Include details of the article’s author(s), journal title, article title, total publication costs, publication date (if already known) and, where applicable, information on third-party funding for the associated research project.
We will get back to you as soon as possible regarding the formal eligibility of your application. The review generally only takes a few days.
3. Send all invoices for publications costs to:
Please include your full name and the publication title in the invoice. You must also indicate the VAT identification numbers of both the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar (DE150125131) and the publisher. If you are publishing outside of Germany, please issue a net invoice.
Please send the invoice per email directly to nadja.schuster[at]uni-weimar.de.
4. Please acknowledge the funding in the acknowledgements. Sample wording: “We acknowledge the support of the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar within the Open-Access Publishing Programme” or “This article was funded by the Open-Access Publishing Programme of the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the publication fund of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar”.
5. Following publication of your article, you must undertake to make the publisher version of the article available on OPUS Weimar, the publication server of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
Funding for open-access monographs and anthologies
Since 2019, the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar’s open-access publication fund has been providing (co)funding within the scope of the available resources to cover open-access publication costs (book processing charges, BPCs) for previously unpublished open-access monographs and anthologies. The funding, which comes from the Thuringian Ministry of Economy, Science and Digital Society (TMWWDG), is administered by the University Library. Proposals are processed and approved in the order that they are received until all the funds have been used up. A decision-making body rules on whether funding is to be awarded. Publications must reference this funding when published.
The requirements for funding are as follows:
Eligibility to submit an application
The author of a monograph or editor of an anthology must be a member of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar or the University of Music FRANZ LISZT Weimar. The affiliation of the publishing party must be clearly visible in the publication.
Funding is normally provided to initial publications, i.e. open-access monographs and anthologies that have not previously been published. The open-access publication can also be published in print (associated costs will not be covered).
Scope of funding
Open-access publication fees will be reimbursed up to a maximum of €2,000 (plus VAT) per open-access book.
This funding can be combined with other funding resources.
The funding is limited to two book publications per author per year.
The funding commitment is for a period of 12 months. If publication has not taken place by the end of this deadline, the funding application must be resubmitted.
Only open-access publication fees will be funded. Printing costs, setting costs, surcharges for colour or scope etc. are not eligible for funding.
The publication will be made freely available online without any financial, legal or technical obstacles. The open-access publication must be released at the same time as any parallel print version (with no restrictions).
The publication must be identified as open access and must have a free licence (we recommend Creative Commons Attribution CC BY).
All monographs and anthologies that receive funding will be made available online and permanently archived on OPUS Weimar, the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar’s online publication portal.
The publication must undergo a standard quality assurance procedure for its particular discipline (e.g. peer review) before being published. The quality assurance process must be described and confirmed by the publishing house if required.
If the publication is based on a thesis, then it must have been awarded at least a ‘magna cum laude’.
Funding is only available to publications via publishing houses if they transparently communicate the costs of open-access publication. The proportion covering open-access costs should be shown separately.
The publishing house must be listed as an open-access publisher, e.g. in the Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB) or as a member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA).
For publication exclusively on OPUS Weimar without collaboration with a publishing house, publication costs are covered up to a maximum of €1000 (plus VAT) for elements such as layout, PDF generation, proofreading, editing or similar, undertaken by student/research assistants or external service providers. Proposals such as these must be justified with a detailed description of the content of the publication project. This should cover the following criteria: publication content and criteria, quality assurance procedure, sustainability and particular importance to the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, strengthening national and international visibility and awareness of research and projects undertaken at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
Advice and application
We provide you with advice before you submit the application and are able to review the publishing contract in advance.
Please send your application with information about the publication (authorship, title, year, publishing house, DOI if relevant, open-access publication fee amount) and confirmation that you meet the funding criteria to: firstname.lastname@example.org