Investigation: Aliivibrio Fischeri
Here can be found all the information around the specimen.
- Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliivibrio_fischeri
- This specimen is found globally in marine environments.
- Is found in very low quantities in almost all oceans of the world in temperate or subtropical water, lives as a symbiont in the light organ of certain fish and squid species. Grows at temperatures of 24°.
- The bioluminescence of A. Fischeri is caused by transcription of the lux operon, which is induced through population-dependent quorum sensing. The population of this specimen needs to reach an optimal level to activate the lux operon and stimulate light production.
- Many people have work with this specimen trying to make their own version of the medium. Common ingredients in most media include Tryptone, yeast extract, glycerol, and roughly 3% NaCl by weight.