Credits: 6 ECTS, 4 SWS
Date: Monday/ Montag 13:30 - 16:45
Venue: Marienstraße.5, Raum 201
First meeting: Monday, 17.10.2016 13:30, Marienstraße.5, Raum 201
How do machines sense their environment?
How can they act back on it?
What happens when traces of actions become the base of decisions?
This course teaches...
- basics of electronics
- a broad overview of easy to use sensors for pretty much everything you can think of
- control of motors and more unconventional actuators.
Using these, participants should construct program driven agents that interact with physical environments.
- Week 0 (17.10.2016): Course organization, How Things can become Agents, Arduino Installation, Soldering
- Week 1 (24.10.2016): Arduino Basics I: Text-output over Serial, measuring light using analogRead + Phototransistor, Variables, If/Then/Else
- Week 2 (01.11.2016): Arduino Basics II: For-Loops, LEDLight-emitting diode-out, a simple controller
The course will be in English, unless all participants are speaking German.
No previous programming experience required.
Undergraduates and graduates enrolled in BfA+MfA MKMedienkultur/MGMediengestaltung →MKG, Media Architecture, FKFreie Kunst – a program at the faculty Gestaltung, VKVisuelle Kommunikation – a graphic design program at the faculty Gestaltung
Criteria for passing
In order to successfully participate you will have to:
- regularly attend the sessions and participate
- developme and document an experiment that relates to the topic
Application deadline for this course will be October 14, 2016.
NOTE: The application procedure may be subject to change due to our membership in the new faculty of Art and Design
To: melanie.birnschein [aet] uni-weimar.de
'Subject: Action/Perception/Machines that do /// Application
- Name, Surname
- Your study program (including name of study + master or bachelor)
- Your study semester (as of SSSommersemester – summer semester. Usually this is followed by the year. If not it could be something else. 2016)
- matriculation number (Matrikelnummer)
- Valid email address @uni-weimar.de
- Please write a few sentences about your motivation for joing the course and your skills/prior experience, so we know what you need and what you are interested in...