Drug dealing is one of the biggest and most important problems in Mexico. It is all about power and it would be really hard to get rid of the problem as a whole. It is all about power.
Many cartels and drug dealing groups have been identified along the whole country.
My idea is to create a Map of Mexico in which I would identify the most important cartels found in the country. I would put oats in the areas where the cartels are and then let physarum find the food and create the connections among them.
Little by little I would remove food from the most powerful cartel and distribute more oats in the other areas with the hypothesis that this would be a way to attack the drug dealing business in Mexico. The way physarum moved or "run away" once their food in one area would give us an insight of where the people from the cartels would run to.
There are many other things involved in the drug dealing business, even though it is all about money and power, it is also about connections, who works for whom, how many people are involved, what's the amount of land they "own", etc... To me it would be more like an hypothesis and a way of analyzing of how primitive this business can be, compared to physarum, I call it primitive for they "think" but they also act as an instinct.
I started some little experiments around December to analyze how physarum moves and see if it would give me what I want to achieve with this idea.
I made some test from December 23rd, 2015 to January 5th, 2016. I left enough food for them to eat so I could see how they developed. Some of them grew mold and most of them grew very well. I disposed the ones that were contaminated and started other tests.
I kept some of the cultures I started to grow in December for the developed pretty good. I took pictures all the way through January to see their development. I change some things about their food which is explained in the drawings. I took decisions or a plan to follow, to see if I could work with them through the maps the way that I had been planning.
Subject #2 The culture had mold in the middle of it so I took it away and replaced it with oats. The progress is in the pictures.
Subject #3 The arrangement of the oats was in lines with physarum starting from each point, right and left. This was its progress.