1. Who pays the »reduced fee«?
- Pupils, students, severely disabled and unemployed people
- alumni (graduates) of Bauhaus-Universität Weimar / Bauhaus Summer School
may pay a reduced fee after providing a certified verification by e-mail.
2. Who pays the »BUW fee«?
- Students who are currently enrolled in the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar summer semester 2017.
- Prospective students who received a letter of admission for the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar winter semester 2017/18.
Please submit the appropriate verification (certificate of matriculation or letter of admission) by e-mail.
3. Which documents qualify as appropriate verification?
- Students: certificate of matriculation of your home university OR student ID card
- Pupils: pupil ID card
- Severely disabled: severly disabled pass
- Unemployed people: certificate of unemployment
- Alumni: certificate of Bauhaus-Universität or Bauhaus Summer School
Please submit the verification by e-mail.
4. Which language certificates will be accepted?
- University certificate certifying at least level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- Cambridge Certificate B1: Preliminary English Test (PET)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based: at least 50
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): at least 4.0
- English-speaking educational attainment (school leaving examination or academic degree)
- Stay abroad in an English-speaking country (at least 6 month)
- Proof (transcript of records, lecturer's certificate), which certifies the attendance of a course in English language
5. What do I have to consider when registering?
- Please read information on registration first.
If you don't need a visa:
- You will be enrolled in the language course, as soon as we receive your registration fee.
If you need a visa:
- After receiving the total sum, we will send an invitation to your address. With this invitation, you can apply for a visa at your embassy in your home country.
- If you don't get a visa, you will get the total sum -- minus 50 EURO processing fee -- back after providing verification (letter of the embassy) by email.
6. How can I find out, whether I need a visa?
- You can find some information concerning visas on our homepage. The German embassy in your home country will answer further questions.
7. Where do I find information about the leisure activities?
- We have published a part of our leisure activities on our homepage. At the beginning of the Bauhaus Summer School, every participant receives a programme of the 4 weeks.
8. Will I have access to sports facilities?
- You will have access to the university sports centre Tuesdays from 17.00 - 19.00. Weimar also has a lovely public swimming pool and a park in the city centre.
9. Are there any extra costs for the leisure activities?
- All events are included in your course fee and are free of charge exept excursions, which you can book seperately.
10. Where do the Bauhaus Summer School students come from?
- Our participants come from almost all countries in Europe, as well as from Northern and Southern America, Asia, Africa and Australia. In 2015, 430 students represented 72 countries.
11. Will I have internet access in Weimar?
- Yes, every participant receives a login to the network of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar. With this login you can surf on the internet for free in all buildings on campus. In addition, you have access to computer pools.
- In student halls you will need a LAN cable.
12. How much pocket money will I need for the duration of the course?
- It is difficult to say. 8 - 10 EURO per day should cover basic expenses, but it depends on what you want to buy.
13. What do I have to consider before my arrival?
- On the day of arrival we'll pick you up at our meeting point in the Weimar train station. If you plan on arriving later, please inform us as soon as possible.
14. Where do I receive the key for my accommodation?
- You will pick up your key at the meeting point in the train station.
15. How much is the deposit for the key and when do I get it back?
- 50 EURO.
- You will get it back when you return your key.
16. How do I get to my accommodation?
- We will take you to your accommodation during the posted times.
- If you arrive later you will either have to take a taxi/bus or walk.
17. What do I have to consider before I leave?
- You will check out of your room on the day of departure.
- You will return your key at the meeting point in the Weimar train station.
- Please note: we do not offer a shuttle service on the day of departure.
18. How do I find out about my language level if I'm not an absolute beginner?
- You will take a placement test on the first day of your course.
- If you'd like to have an idea beforehand, please take the online test we offer when you register.
19. Will I receive a certificate?
- Yes, you will receive a certificate after successfully completing your course. You can find out about the terms in your course description and you can ask your lecturer about this.
20. Will I get credit points (ECTS) for attending a course?
- Yes, you will find the terms in the course description. If you have further questions, please ask your lecturer.
- Prior to your participation, it is essential that you clarify whether your home university will recognise the foreign credits you intend to earn - if desired.
21. Will I get a grade?
- Only if you arrange this with your lecturer at the beginning of your course.
22. Can I partcipate in a course if I am under 18?
- It is possible in individual cases, as long as you meet the prerequisites for the course and your parents sign a consent form and accept full responsibilty for you.
23. Will I get food in my accommodation?
- No, you have to buy your own food.
24. Which things are available in my accommodation?
- All rooms come with a bed, table, wardrobe, chair and book case.
- A kitchen has usually a stove, oven, refrigerator, sink, crockery.
- Bedding will be provided (except in Low Budget Rooms).
- Please bring your own towels with you!
- Please note: In student halls cooking utensils are generally not provided. In your room you will find a plate, a cup, a glass and cutlery.
25. You want to find an accommodation by yourself?
- Here is an overview of overnight accommodations.
26. Where can I get cheap meals in Weimar?
- In the Mensa am Park, for instance.
- Here is a list of dining halls in Weimar.
27. What do meals cost in the mensa?
- Meals cost between 1.50 and 3.50 EURO.
- In order to get the discount, you must show your Bauhaus Summer School ID card.
28. Does the mensa has a special vegetarian menu?
29. Is the mensa open for evening meals?
- No, not during the summer break. It closes at 15.00.
30. Does the mensa serve breakfast?
- Yes, and at very good value; e. g. a sandwich with coffee costs around 1.60 EURO.
31. How can I explore Weimar?
- Weimar is a small town and you can reach most things by foot.
- In rare cases, your housing is a bit outside of the city centre, but you can catch the bus.
- You can also rent a bike. Please consult this link for further information.
32. Are there enough parking spaces near accommodation?
- Parking can be very difficult in Weimar, and parking tickets are expensive!
33. Are there buses from accommodation to campus?
- Yes. However, some lines run only until 20.00.
34. How many people live in Weimar?
- Around 65,000.
35. What is the weather like in August?
- Warm, but often variable! Temperatures vary between 15 and 30 degrees (°C). Evenings can often be quite cool. Pack warm clothing and raingear.