»Special Connection – Flexibility in Furniture and Exhibition Design«
Discover the potential of flexible furniture and exhibition design!
Exhibition furniture is a fundamentally important component in the planning and design of an exhibition. Anyone who has ever organised or experienced an exhibition knows: flexibility, fast-moving and temporary use, but also comfort and stability are key requirements that good exhibition furniture has to meet – but often does not.
Learn the basics of furniture construction and temporary exhibition design – in theory & practice
In this two-week intensive course, you will learn how to design furniture that can be adapted to the requirements of any (exhibition) situation! You will learn the basics of what to consider when designing furniture and get exciting input on the subject of exhibition and furniture design. In this context, we take a closer look at the connecting elements: they hold the individual parts of the piece of furniture together and – if they are designed flexibly – enable a wide variety of different applications.
A hands-on workshop
You will have the opportunity to put everything you have learned into practice: Working with your hands is the focus of this workshop! Together in a team you will develop a system of stools, benches, tables and displays and pass through the entire design process with professional support – from sketching the idea, drawing and model making to the 1:1 implementation. In experimental exercises, we will test a wide variety of materials that could be used as temporary connecting elements and develop functional and aesthetic solutions. At the end of the two weeks, the ultimate field test awaits us: at the final exhibition of the Bauhaus Summer School, we can present our results and try them in direct, practical use!
Dipl. Des. Meike Langer | www.meikelanger.com
- 2014-2018 Artistic Assistant, Product Design, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- 2012-2014 Research Assistant, Product Design, HfG Offenbach
- Since 2010 Freelance product designer
- 2010 Diploma in Design, HfG Offenbach
- 2017/ Cooperation in the 1200° specialist course with Elias Farbglashuette Lauscha; development of glass products with the students
- 2018/ Glass workshop 1000° in the context of Bauhaus 100 with the Elias Farbglashuette Lauscha
- 2016/ glass workshop in Meisenthal together with students of the Bauhaus-University Weimar and the HbK Saar
Focal Points: product design, furniture design, manufacturing Technologies, glass, design thinking
Thomas Schnur | www.thomasschnur.com
- 2019-2020 Guest Lecturer at KhK Kassel and UdK Berlin
- 2016-2020 Lecturer, Product Design, Ecosign Köln
- 2016-2018 Lecturer, Product Design, HBK Saar
- Since 2010 Freelance product designer
- 2005-2010 Diploma in Design, FH Aachen
- 2008 École Supérieure d'Art et Design de Saint-Étienne
- 2003-2005 Apprenticeship as cabinetmaker
- 2018/ Cooperation with MAGAZIN together with Katrin Greiling and the students of HbK Saar
- 2018/ Cooperation with BASF together with Mark Braun and the students of HbK Saar
- 2017/ "Common Things" Book Publication
Focal points: product design, furniture design, manufacturing technologies, design thinking, wood, steel
1. Online Registration
In order to register, please complete our registration form.
Please submit the following documents by 1 May 2020 as a pdf file via email.
- Curriculum vitae (max. two pages)
- English language certificate: at least level B1 or comparable
- Letter of motivation: Why did you choose this course? - max. 500 words
Please note the following points:
- Only one pdf file (max. 5 MB)
- Email with subject »Application [COURSE TITLE]«
- Name of PDF file »[COURSE TITLE]_family name_first Name«
ONLY COMPLETE AND CORRECTLY NAMED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED!
3. Selection Process
All applicants will receive admission notification by 1 June 2020 via e-mail. In case of a positive answer you will receive the invoice simultaneously which you will have to pay within 10 days. If applicants fail to do this, places will be given to others on the waiting list.
If you need a VISA, we recommend you to get informed now about the requirements and to make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country.
A maximum of 18 applicants will be selected to participate in this course.