Creative ways of exploring spaces for innovative and site-specific design ideas
The course Understanding Spaces explores innovative artistic approaches to sensitise the personal perception and to grasp the particularity of places. This is an important starting point for new design ideas and site specific design solutions in art and architecture. The aesthetic concept of atmospheres is introduced to gain a better understanding of environmental qualities. The course closely links theory and practice through lectures, field trips and studio work.
Special features of this course are field trips in Weimar and surrounding, to experience and analyse natural landscapes and urban environments. Innovative methods are introduced to capture spatial moods and express personal experiences. Based on the personal analysis of the places selected, you will develop two artistic or architectural design projects.
The course Understanding Spaces offers a wonderful learning experience in the company of international students from various disciplines. Mornings and afternoons are structured by lectures and seminars, as well as field trips, students' analyses and design projects. Studio work is individually mentored by the course instructor and in-class presentations allow joint reviews in the group. An active participation in group discussions and constructive class critiques is encouraged.
The aim of the course is, to improve the understanding of spaces for an inventive start in a design process. Therefore the aesthetic concept of atmospheres is introduced and the artistic analyse applied. Understanding Spaces opens up new design ideas for artist, architects, and urban planner, and supports the development of site-specific design projects.
The course language is English.
Please contact us if you would like personal consultaion. We will be happy to help you.
This course is especially oriented towards students of Architecture and Visual Arts, and related areas of study, such as Urban Planning, Landscapes Architecture and Art and Design, and is open to all students with a general interest in understanding spaces and finding design solutions.
An architectural or artistic interest in natural and urban spaces and in creating site-specific design solutions.
Students are encouraged to keep track of their own perception of particular spaces with the help of a log book throughout the course period. In order to increase the understanding of spaces, you will be asked to produce analyses of each of the visited landscapes. Based on the space analyses students' will develop two artistic or architectural projects.
The course language in English. Therefore good command of English is required.
Dipl.-Ing. Arch. Marie Ulber, Ph.D.
- since 2017: Postdoc-Project about Atmospheres of Architecture, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- 10/2017 – 02/2018 Teaching at the Universität Erfurt, Germany
- 2009 – 2015: Ph.D.-Project about Landscape Aesthetics, in Art and Design, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- 2008: Diploma in Architecture, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- 05/2012: Teaching at the University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada
- 2012 – 2013: Teaching at the Vancouver Island School of Art, Victoria, Canada
- 2009 – 2011: Assistant Professor, Design and Theory of Building Types, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- 2007 – 2008: Degelo Architekten, Basel, Switzerland
In order to register, please complete our registration form.
Please submit the following documents by 1 May 2018 as one pdf file via email.
- Curriculum vitae: max. two pages
- English language certificate: at least level B1 or comparable
- Letter of motivation: Why did you choose this course? - max. 500 words
- Portfolio: Introduce three of your projects that are related to the course topic that show architectural or artistic interest in spaces!
Please note the following points:
- Only one pdf file (max. 5 MB)
- Email with subject »Application Understanding Spaces«
- Name of pdf file »Understanding_Spaces_family name_first name«
ONLY COMPLETE AND CORRECTLY NAMED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED!
3. Selection Process
All applicants will receive admission notification by 1 June 2018 via e-mail. In case of a positive answer you will receive the invoice simultaneously which you will have to pay within 10 days. If applicants fail to do this, places will be given to others on the waiting list.
If you need a VISA, we recommend you to get informed now about the requirements and to make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country.
A maximum of 20 applicants will be selected to participate in this course.
The course fee includes: