Explore design strategies and artistic approaches in architecture!
The course »Architectural Design« explores architectural concepts through hands-on modelling, class presentations, on-site visits, and studio practice. Each class examines particular design principles and methodologies, leading to practical design techniques. In daily tasks spatial strategies will be applied in artistic ways and hands-on modelling. Design principles such as Open Plan, Inner Courtyard, Shifting Storeys, and Mass and Space, will be explored in architectural model making and hands-on sculpturing by using a variety of materials. Examples of contemporary European architecture will be discussed and visited in this course.
The practical tasks lead to the final design project of the course: an Art Museum in Weimar. The aim in the final project is to develop a public building within self-chosen design principles. Important are the connection of inner and outer spaces, the arrival and opening situation of the building, the spatial links of exhibition spaces, the opening and sight concept, and the light situation. The course »Architectural Design« supports the understanding of spatial qualities, explores design strategies in architecture, and improves the personal design capacity.
The course opens up new design ideas that can be used in architectural practice. Therefore public buildings will be visited and analysed, and various architectural design principles will be explored and applied. »Architectural Design« supports students developing spatial concepts and increases the design quality of the architectural projects.
Fancy a glimpse into the course? Here you can find impressions of the "Architectural Design" course during Bauhaus Summer School 2017.
The course language is English.
Please contact us if you would like personal consultation. We will be happy to help you.
This course is especially oriented towards students of Architecture, and related areas of study, and is open to all students with a general interest in designing architecture.
- Interest to explore new strategies in the architectural design process
- Active participation in the course with practical design tasks such as object, collage, and architecture model
- Development of a final design project with architectural drawings and model
- Portfolio of the personal design process in the tutorial and design project
The course language in English. Therefore good command of English is required.
Dipl.-Ing. Arch. Marie Ulber, Ph.D.
- since 2017: Postdoc-Project about Atmospheres of Architecture, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- 10/2017 – 02/2018 Teaching at the Universität Erfurt, Germany
- 2009 – 2015: Ph.D.-Project about Landscape Aesthetics, in Art and Design, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- 2008: Diploma in Architecture, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- 05/2012: Teaching at the University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada
- 2012 – 2013: Teaching at the Vancouver Island School of Art, Victoria, Canada
- 2009 – 2011: Assistant Professor, Design and Theory of Building Types, Prof. Karl-Heinz Schmitz, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- 2007 – 2008: Degelo Architekten, Basel, Switzerland
1. Online Registration
In order to register, please complete our registration form.
Please submit the following documents by 1 May 2018 as a pdf file via email.
- Curriculum vitae (max. two pages)
- English language certificate: at least level B1 or comparable
- Letter of motivation: Why did you choose this course? - max. 500 words
- Portfolio: Three design projects that show your interest in architecture and spatial strategies
Please note the following points:
- Only one pdf file (max. 5 MB)
- Email with subject »Application Architectural Design«
- Name of pdf file »Architectural_Design_family name_first name«
ONLY COMPLETE AND CORRECTLY NAMED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED!
3. Selection Process
All applicants will receive admission notification by 1 June 2018 via e-mail. In case of a positive answer you will receive the invoice simultaneously which you will have to pay within 10 days. If applicants fail to do this, places will be given to others on the waiting list.
If you need a VISA, we recommend you to get informed now about the requirements and to make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country.
A maximum of 20 applicants will be selected to participate in this course.
The course fee includes:
Get an insight!
Fancy a visual insight into the course? Here you can find some photographic impressions of "Architectural Design" 2017.