The course is geared towards all student groups from fields such as fine arts, visual arts, design, and architecture (BA to PhD students).
Free Your Painting
Free Your Painting!
“Lend your ears to music, open your eyes to painting, and... stop thinking! Just ask yourself whether the work has enabled you to 'walk about' into a hitherto unknown world. If the answer is yes, what more do you want?” Kandinsky.
Aimed at the painter, fine art student or individual who employs paint as part of their wider creative practice (i.e. design, architecture). The course offers a chance to stretch your understanding and abilities of rendering materials, tints, splatters and pigment while testing what it is to paint amongst our current, expanded realms of painting.
Practical, hands-on (group and individual) exercises will kick start the course, e.g., effecting pigment, use of grounds, surface and layering with new possibilities for handling and applying materials. Experimentation will invite participants to further examine paintings’ traits: colour and light; shape and line; space and scale; surface and spatial depth; illusion, allusion and expression.
Over the two week period, artist Alex Roberts will provide a platform that collaboratively exposes new modes of agency, materials, extends technical skills; expanding current methodologies and experience – facilitating a painting exchange. Participants will be given the chance to view the exclusive collections in the Zeitgenössiche Kunst, Neues Museum Weimar, and receive a series of presentations, and discourse about contemporary painting. The play with materials, rethinking of processes will be accompanied by critique, culminating with open ateliers to share identified findings.
- 2019 Professional bodies, Advance HE - Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK.
- 2018 Institute for Education, Bath Spa University, UK, Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Practice for Higher Education and MA Education module, e-learning Pedagogy and Application.
- 2015 Chelsea College of Art & Design, University of Arts London, UK, MA Fine Art.
- 2021- Lecturer in Drawing, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design, University of Dundee, Scotland.
- 2021- External Examiner for BA Fine Art, University of Northampton, UK.
- 2020- Visiting Lecturer, Freies Zeichnen Module (BA Media Design), Mediadesign Hochschule für Design und Informatik, University of Applied Sciences Berlin.
- 2019- Lecturer, Bauhaus Summer School, Bauhaus Universität Weimar. What is Colour? (2022) Stretching Klee’s line: mark making for our digital age (2019).
- 2016- Visiting Artist/ Lecturer, Drawing Projects UK. drawingprojects.co.uk
Fields of interest and practice:
Artist - painter. Painting, drawing, fine art, installation, collaboration, curating, educator.
The course fee is 890 EURO.
690 EURO for students & alumni
350 EURO for BUW students
The course fee includes:
- Orientation & Support
- Programme according to description
- Teaching materials
- Bauhaus Summer School ID card
- Daily Lunch at the University Cafeteria (Monday - Friday)
- Internet access at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- Free use of library
- Accompanying programme including excursions
- Free entrance to museums belonging to Klassik Stiftung Weimar
Please note our terms and conditions (admission conditions, cancellation conditions etc.)
The course fee does not include:
- Travel costs
1. Online Registration
Please register first in our system ► Registration
Please follow the instructions on the page.
Please submit until 01 May 2023 the following documents:.
Letter of motivation
Portfolio (e.g. a presentation of two projects with photos and sketches, maximum 5 images per project)
3. Selection Process
All applicants will receive notification about the outcome of the selection process as soon as possible via e-mail. In case of a positive answer you will receive the invoice simultaneously which you will have to pay within 10 days. If applicants fail to do this, places will be given to others on the waiting list.
If you need a VISA, we recommend you to get informed now about the requirements and to make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country.
A maximum of 15 applicants will be selected to participate in this course.
In addition to the specialised course, you can also attend one of the three Cultural Studies modules. The modules take place on three afternoons and you can receive 2 additional ECTS to your specialised course. Further information can be found here.
Topics of the modules taught in Englisch:
- German Bauhaus
- Germany's Position in International Geopolitics
- Germany and Fashion
Price: 190 € (pro Modul)
After successful completion of the language course, you will receive a certificate of participation issued by the Bauhaus Summer School. I
Participants earn 3 credit points (ECTS) after completion of the two-week course. In order to receive credit points, t is necessary to attend at least 80% of the course lessons and to fulfil the required tasks. It is possible to receive 2 extra credit points (ECTS) for the course if you book an additional module.
Prior to your participation, it is essential that you clarify whether your home university will recognise the foreign credits you intend to earn.
If you would like to receive a grade, you must discuss this with the teacher at the beginning of the course! The fulfilment of additional tasks may be necessary.