UNESCO World Heritage
The State Bauhaus in Weimar represents an important chapter in the 150-year history of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar and an essential part of humanitys cultural heritage.
In 1996, the »Bauhaus Sites in Weimar and Dessau« were officially added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage. In Weimar these include:
- the universitys Main Building (birthplace of the Bauhaus)
- the small Van de Velde Building (formerly the Grand Ducal Saxon School of Arts and Crafts)
- the Haus Am Horn
- the Brendel Studio (formerly the Bauhaus dining hall) and
- the Ceramics Workshop of the State Bauhaus (located in Dornburg).
In its official statement, the UNESCO justified its selection, stating »the Bauhaus, with its sites in Weimar (Thuringia) and Dessau (Saxony-Anhalt), represents the so-called Bauhaus school of architecture which, between 1919 and 1933, applied revolutionary ideas to building design and town planning. The buildings of the Bauhaus professors, from Walter Gropius to Hannes Meyer, Lazlo Moholy-Nagy to Wassily Kandinsky, founded the Bauhaus style, which made a decisive mark on the architecture of the 20th century.«