The course is suitable for undergraduates, graduates, and anyone who lives, studies, and works in a multicultural environment.
Communicate Effectively Across Cultures
Learn to navigate with ease across cultural differences and become a confident cross-cultural communicator
When we communicate with people from other cultures, we usually see ourselves as good communicators. But are we really? The cultures we are born into influence us in a myriad of ways. They shape the way we think, reason, and express ourselves, things we consider important, our behaviours, and our expectations from the world and others. Understanding cultural influences is crucial to accepting cultural differences. Understanding others helps find better ways to live and work together. In this two-week course, we will look into the origins of cultures, we will observe and analyse our own cultural behaviours and we will learn how to interact with others in the most effective way, both personally and professionally. We will explore different elements of communication and will answer many questions:
- What is being an effective communicator in a cross-cultural environment?
- How to make ourselves clear using verbal and non-verbal communication?
- What are the key elements to influence and persuade others?
- Why is it important to build relationships across cultures?
- How can we give constructive feedback?
Communicating well is about practice! This is why we will dedicate only a short time to theory, allowing the practice to be our main focus. We will do individual and group work. We will work on case studies. We will put ourselves in the manager's shoes. We will get initiated to negotiate across cultures and more. The course is designed to be fully interactive, playful, and fun. Are you passionate about communication? Are you curious about cultures? Are you planning to study and work in a multicultural environment? If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", then this course is for you.
- Founder and CEO of Cultureyes Consultants Ltd
- Master's Degree in Communications
- Work Experience in the field of international communications in Paris and London
Intercultural Training | Cultureyes Consultants
Anke Schulze, MA
- studied Communication and Psychologie at Friedrich-Schiller Universität Jena/ Germany and Université Rennes 2 in Rennes/France
- studied Intercultural Communication and Intercultural Training at Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena in cooperation with interculture e.V.
- since 2011 employed at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar as project coordinator and developper, intercultural trainer and teacher in the context of internationalisation and international relations
The course fee is 890 EURO.
690 EURO for students & alumni
350 EURO for BUW students
The course fee includes:
- Orientation & Support
- Programme according to description
- Teaching materials
- Bauhaus Summer School ID card
- Daily Lunch at the University Cafeteria (Monday - Friday)
- Internet access at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- Free use of library
- Accompanying programme including excursions
- Free entrance to museums belonging to Klassik Stiftung Weimar
Please note our terms and conditions (admission conditions, cancellation conditions etc.)
The course fee does not include:
- Travel costs
- Additional module(s) (190 €)
1. Online Registration
Please register first in our system ► Registration
Please follow the instructions on the page.
Please submit until 01 May 2023 the following documents:.
Letter of motivation
3. Selection Process
All applicants will receive notification about the outcome of the selection process as soon as possible via e-mail. In case of a positive answer you will receive the invoice simultaneously which you will have to pay within 10 days. If applicants fail to do this, places will be given to others on the waiting list.
If you need a VISA, we recommend you to get informed now about the requirements and to make an appointment with the German embassy in your home country.
A maximum of 20 applicants will be selected to participate in this course.
In addition to the specialised course, you can also attend one of the three Cultural Studies modules. The modules take place on three afternoons and you can receive 2 additional ECTS to your specialised course. Further information can be found here.
Topics of the modules taught in Englisch:
- German Bauhaus
- Germany's Position in International Geopolitics
- Germany and Fashion
Price: 190 € (per module)
After successful completion of the language course, you will receive a certificate of participation issued by the Bauhaus Summer School. I
Participants earn 3 credit points (ECTS) after completion of the two-week course. In order to receive credit points, t is necessary to attend at least 80% of the course lessons and to fulfil the required tasks. It is possible to receive 2 extra credit points (ECTS) for the course if you book an additional module.
Prior to your participation, it is essential that you clarify whether your home university will recognise the foreign credits you intend to earn.
If you would like to receive a grade, you must discuss this with the teacher at the beginning of the course! The fulfilment of additional tasks may be necessary.