Title (alt): Advanced Mobile Interfaces
Lecturer(s): Michael Markert
Credits/SWS[[SWS|Semesterwochenstunden]]: 18 ECTS, 12 SWS
Maximum Number of Participants: 20
Course Language: English
First meeting: Do, 13. April 2017
- Thursdays, 9:15 to 12:00 h and
- Thursdays, 13:30 to ~18:00 h for Excursions (not every week, mandatory to all!)
- Tuesdays, 13:30 to 18:00 h for individual 30 min consultations
Venue: Marienstraße 7b, R104
We'll be working on interactions and interfaces that are related to specific places and locations, static or in movement.
You can either work on your own geolocalized project or join the Datenschleuder / Experimental Television team for an installation for ICE train passengers traveling from Jena to Naumburg.
In any case, we'll be looking at geolocalized interfaces and things that will only work if you or they are at a specific location.
Please note: because of the nature of the second part of our course with various field trips, the ending time will vary. We might also use the train and leave Weimar; sometimes we might only return in the evenings. Please do not enroll in this course if you have other appointments or obligations on Thursday afternoons. I will not accept students asking to join just one part of this project!
Der Kurs findet auf Englisch statt, für weitere Informationen beachten Sie bitte den englischen Text.
- Mobile Networked Technologies, Connected Devices and the Internet of Things
- Location Based Data & Mobile User Interfaces
- Augmented Spaces
- Smartphone Sensors
- Spatial information, quality and organization of space
- Temporal aspects of space
- Navigation / Routing / Means of Transport
- Dérive and Getting Lost
- Server-Side Technologies: PHP[[PHP|PHP Hypertext Processor]], Node.js, Websockets
- Communication Protocols: TCP/IP[[TCP/IP UDP]] Internet protocol suite, UDP, OSC[[OSC|Open Sound Control]]
- About Webapps, Hybrid Apps and Native Apps
Registration procedure / Anmeldung
Please register at the faculty's module registration on Tuesday, April 4th. There are 12 places reserved for this registration procedure.
The remaining 8 out of 20 places are reserved for students of other study programs or students who are not able to take part in the faculty module registration. In that case, please register until April 3rd by email with the Subject MasterprojectSS17 to: michael.markert (at) uni-weimar.de.
- Name, Surname
- program and semester (Studienprogramm und Fachsemester)
- matriculation number (Matrikelnummer)
- Angabe der geltenden Prüfungsordnung
- Valid email address @uni-weimar.de (no other mailing addresses will be accepted) Why?
- Information about what other courses you are planning to register for this semester
- Information about why you cannot register on Tuesday April 4th
- Short sentence on why you want to participate in this course
What happens if there are more than 20 registrations (to be expected):
- The first 15 registrations will be accepted (first come, first serve), unless your matching the criteria listed at the end of this paragraph.
- Registrations #16 to #25 will receive an on hold message and will be notified until Tuesday, April 12 if they are accepted. Criteria for acceptance will be (in this order)
- Your motivation and your intent to participate with a project related to the given topic
- You must have time on Thursdays (before noon and afternoon!)
- If you need to enrol because your study regulations require taking this module
- Time of registration (first come, first serve)
- Previous knowledge (we're interested in having great projects at the end of the semester)
- You're working on a Master-Thesis at the chair of Interface Design
- Registrations #26 onwards will be denied.
- If there are more than 25 students in the first meeting, you will not be allowed to join the course if:
- You didn't register by E-Mail
- You did register after April 8
- Your registration will not be accepted if:
- You are planning to show up for only one part
- You are not planning to work on a project related to the course topic
- You were formerly enrolled in one of my previous courses and never showed up or left without further notice after one or two meetings
Evaluation / Geforderte Prüfungsleistung zur Erlangung eines Leistungsnachweises
- Active participation (no more than two missed classes!)
- At least two individual consultations (Tuesday afternoons)
- Midterm assignment (required, even though the midterm grade is just for your information)
- Presentation at the end of the lecture period, this includes presentations at our Interface Design ShowReel and during the Summaery
- Final assignment at the end of the semester including documentation: Artistic examination (see Examination Regulations!)
- Uploading your work in progress in our project collaboration tool, respecting deadlines
Eligible participants / Zielgruppe
Master students enrolled in the Faculties of Art and Design, Architecture, Media,