6 Bit Depesche
This is a collaborative work to be made of three parts:
- textile computing module using the bullet-proof glass from the Alte Staatsbank
- 6bit-light-bulb-signal from the original depeche system used in the bank til 1997.
- The dollhouse version of the Alte Staatsbank in the form of a computer simulation
Textile Computing Module
This module uses thread and suction cups with 3D-printed wheels to create a machine, that performs binary computations.
The user can pull different threads, that will light up different combinations of lamps
6 Bit Light Signal
This module is a piece of technology from the alte Staatsbank, that is inteded to become a part of this installation.
It can be used to communicate between the exhibition space and the virtual dollhouse.
This is a little computer + screen, running a custom made software.
It shows a cross-section of the Alte Staatsbank including the staircase.
You can see little computer people pursuing their everyday jobs and communicate with them using the 6 bit light signal.
All rooms and people in the dollhouse are computer generated.
However we may setup a webcam in one of the exhibition rooms, and livestream it into the dollhouse.
Or we may project what happens inside one of the dollhouse rooms onto the wall of the corresponding room of the exhibition to blur the lines between the two realities...
What we have done
- got a small working room in the alte Staatsbank, where we can develop our artwork
- took pictures of the posters that outline the history of the Alte Staatsbank.
Check your Emails.
- did experiments with the bullet proof Panzerglas
- drew customers, bank peoples, a robber and a security guy
- figured out how to set up the whole logic gate structure on paper
- prototyped mechanical switches for the lamps and investigated their wiring
- drew the dollhouse, pencil and digital version
- produced 80 pulley wheels
- decided for which signal refers to which room and which person
Work in Progress
- Ask if we can use the original 6 bit light system
- Ask how the 6 bit light system worked in context
- Finish the textile computing module
- Processing framework to run the dollhouse
- Create Drawings for the dollhouse
- Arduino to communicate between 6 bits of light and the dollhouse
- Order needed electronics and mechanical parts for pulleys
- Construct a (safe) mechanism that allows peoples to interact with the structure
- Finish Characters , Sprite Sheets
- Please add Photos of your work in progress!