The university's main building was designed by Henry van de Velde and built between 1904 and 1911. It was one of the most important Art School building projects at the turn of the century and was also the birthplace of the State Bauhaus in 1919.
In 1999, the architect Thomas van den Valentyn supervised renovation work on the building which restored it to its original condition. Today, the main building is used by the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar and houses the Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism and the President' Office.
Different views about the stairwell in the Main Building