The Haus Am Horn was built for the major Bauhaus Exhibition in 1923. It was designed by Georg Muche, the youngest master at the Bauhaus, and constructed by Gropius's architectural office under the supervision of Adolf Meyer. The building was intended as a first step in what would become an entire Bauhaus settlement with university buildings and residential units, designed by Gropius and Forbat. It was the first building ever constructed in the Bauhaus architectural style.
On the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the Bauhaus in 1999, the Circle of Friends of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar completely restored the building with funding from public sponsors and the Sparkassen financial group. Today, the Circle of Friends and the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar regularly stage exhibitions and events at the Haus Am Horn.
At the beginning of 2019, the estate became the property of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar. Since 18 May 2019, the house has again been regularly open to visitors as a listed building. A new permanent exhibition is dedicated to the history of the building with the aim of communicating the design and technological idea.
The Haus Am Horn can be visited individually or with a guided tour, the Bauhaus Walk.