Since 2010, the Bauhaus.Atelier | Info Shop Café has been located in the renovated Brendelsches Atelier in the courtyard of the Main Building of the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar and has been the central contact point for guests as well as a communicative place for students, staff and teachers. Due to new requirements, it will close for the time being from 24 December 2020.
The history of the Building
Built as a studio for Professor Albert Brendel, an animal portrait painter and director of the Weimar Art School, the building caused quite a sensation when it was presented to the public in 1886. Situated in the court of the Grand Ducal Saxon School of Arts and Crafts, it was used by the class of animal illustrators and painters who benefited from the natural lighting, provided by the glass dome of its iron roof structure. However, parts of the sensational glass hip roof were closed off in 1904 when the small studio was transferred to the Prellerhof.
When the State Bauhaus was founded, the glass studio played a central albeit different role for all the workshop classes. With the addition of a kitchen, the building became the central dining hall for the members of the Bauhaus from 1919 until 1925.
When the Bauhaus was forced to leave Weimar, operations at the small dining facility also came to an end. The successor institutions used the former studio as a storage building until well into the 1990s.
The Bauhaus dining hall was registered as a historic landmark by the Thuringian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments in 1999. In recent years, the building had been used as a studio and storage facility for sculptures. It was then that the university's Executive Board considered redesigning the historic building to fulfil a new function.