Hannah Ernst, Raphael Witte, Juan Pablo Fernandez, Gerrit Müller-Scheeßel, Julian Pracht, Diana Buterus, Paul Veit, Jonathan Schmitz
Prof. Bernd Rudolf Julia Heinemann
Architecture and Urbanism
Architecture (Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.))
Type of project presentation
Winter semester 2018/19
- Geschwister-Scholl-Straße 8 - Open Air Galerie
attractive to children
Bauhausfest "Republik der Geister", Deutsches Nationaltheater Weimar "Woche der Demokratie"
The pavilion represents the conceptual abstract of the heart of the historic Bauhaus: the director's room designed by Bauhaus founder Walter Gropius in 1923 especially for the first "Great Bauhaus Exhibition".
The "real" Gropius Room on the 1st floor of the main building (reconstructed in 1999) is one of the masterpieces that impressively mark the path of classical modernism.
It was created at the end of the 1st phase of the young Bauhaus, marked by Expressionism,
when the transition to constructivist and functionally determined forms became recognizable.
The originally rectangular room was separated by Gropius into a 5 x 5 x 5m cube.
Within this cubic space he defined a further cube as a "rest zone" - marked by the coloured surfaces.
The height of the "room within the room" is defined by the sofa lighting,
an expressive design element for that time, known from Gerit Rietvelt, which later characterised the lighting at the Bauhaus in Dessau.
"They are invited to perceive this pavilion as a structural and intellectual symbol of modernity and the open idea of democracy, to stop and pause in it and to exchange ideas. In addition, you are invited to become the directors of the future.
projected out of this open pavilion larger, wider and more public thinking,
to find himself in the director's position.