• Are you preparing for your study visit in Germany, but don’t know what documents you need to enter the country?
  • Or where you have to apply for a visa?
  • Or when you’ll need a residence permit?

Here you will find information for issues of:

Which kind of Visa do you need?

Proof of financial resources

Residence permit, if you don’t need a visa

Checklist of the documents you need for the residence permit

Which kind of Visa do you need?

You will have to obtain several official documents before you are allowed to live in Germany. If you come from a country which is not a member of the European Union, you may also have to apply for a visa as soon as possible.

 To find out whether you require an entry visa, select your country of origin from the list here. Most importantly, DO NOT apply for a tourist visa.

  • You can apply for a student visa as soon as you receive notification of admission from a German university.
  • You can apply for a student applicant visa if you have already applied to a German university but haven’t yet received notification of admission. In this case, contact your German university and confirm whether they have in fact received your application.
  • You can apply for a language course visa for purposes of study if you intend on learning German so that you can study in Germany later. Those who apply for this type of visa are required to pass the DSH examination within two years.
  • If you do not require a visa, you can register with the Foreigners Registration Office in Weimar and apply for a residence permit.
  • In case you require a Schengen Visa you can find more information here.

Where do you apply for a visa?

You can apply for a visa at the German embassy or consulate general in your country of residence. Be sure to make an appointment early on because in various countries the visa process can take several weeks or months.
Click here for a list of countries (in alphabetical order) with links to the websites of German embassies and consulates [Link in German only].

What documents do you need to apply for a visa?

  • Valid passport
  • Notification of admission from the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar or confirmation that the university has received your application [Link zum Zulassungsschreiben]
  • Proof that you can finance your studies in Germany [Link: Finanzierungsnachweis]

It is possible that German missions in some countries may ask you to provide proof of German language proficiency, academic achievement or other documents. We strongly recommend to find out beforehand what specific documents to bring for your visa appointment so you avoid having to wait for another appointment.

Proof of Financial Resources

What is proof of financial resources?

When you apply for a visa before your trip to Germany, you will have to demonstrate your ability to fully finance your studies in Germany. When you arrive in Weimar, you will be asked to submit this proof of financial resources to the  Foreigner Registration Office.

You will need around 853 euros per month to cover your living and studying expenses in Weimar. This amount is based on a model calculation

You will have to prove that you have 853 euros per month at your disposal for a whole year (total: 10.236 euros). Keep in mind that your stay in Weimar could end up lasting longer than you planned and you may find it difficult to study and earn money at the same time.

There are several ways to show that you have adequate financial resources at your disposal. We recommend asking the German Diplomatic Mission in your country about the types of proof they accept.

Residence Permit

Once you’ve arrived in Germany and moved into your room or flat, you will have to register your place of residence with the Resident Registration Office.

Because your entry visa is only valid for three months, you will have to convert it to a “residence permit for purposes of study” at the Foreigner Registration Office in Weimar. Residence permits are issued for a maximum of two years. Should you need to stay longer, it is best to apply for an extension well before the two-year period is over.
Since 1. September 2011 there is a new electronic residence permit. Detailed information can be found here!

What documents do you need to apply for a residence permit in Weimar?

  • the completed application form (available at International Office or as a PDF»)
  • 1 biometric passport photo
  • passport
  • 1 copy of visa and basic claims data (in your passport)
  • Confirmation of health insurance coverage. Please note: A health insurance card does not suffice as proof!
  • confirmation of registration (from registration office)
  • rental contract and 1 copy of rental contract
  • certificate of enrolment with stamp from International
    about the duration of your studies
  • Proof of financial resources (about 720,00 €)
  • 130 € for the processing fee

You must provide originals and copies of all the required documents.