Demonstration project urban quarter 'Jenfelder Au'
Linking renewable energy generation with innovative urban sewerage (KREIS)
funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
11/2011 - 10/2014
During the the following years, the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg is going to build the new urban quarter 'Jenfelder Au' with about 770 new living units as well as accompanying measures of social, cultural and commercial infrastructure. Besides the newest insulation and ventilation standards, an innovative, comprehensive and dencentralised concept of waste water management and energy generation will be realised. The application of new, innovative approaches involves a number of imponderabilities; some measures will be tested under real conditions for the first time, others might need further development.
The aim of the 'KREIS' project is to support the designing and construction process as well as the start of operation of the technical systems with preliminary investigations and subsequently to accompany and optimise the operation of the facilities scientifically after implementation.
The Chair of Construction Economics works on the examination of economic efficiency and a comprehensive and sustainable assessment of the decentralised demonstration project. Therefore, the economic efficiency will be analysed on the macro, meso and micro level mainly economic comparisons. Moreover, the transferability of results and the definition of an overall level of decentralisation, in relation to the size of the decentralised system and the amount of decentralised subsystems in a total system, will be part of the research project.
Joint project with 14 partners from science and practice
Participating Chairs from Bauhaus-Universität Weimar:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jörg Londong (Siedlungswasserwirtschaft / Housing Water Management) - scientific coordination
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Eckhard Kraft (Biotechnologie in der Ressourenwirtschaft / Biotechnology in Management of Resources)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Ing. Hans Wilhelm Alfen (BWL im Bauwesen / Construction Economics)
- development of comprehensive, innovative, exemplary and advanced solutions
- intelligent linkage of public duties in urban waste management for water and solid waste with the public duties of of energy supply as well as with aspects of urban planning
- knowledge and experience, directly usable for the urban quarter 'Jenfelder Au' as well as for a similar realisations
- assessment of the economic profitability of decentralised solution
Project website (currently just in German available): http://www.kreis-jenfeld.de/