How do I apply for admission to the bachelor’s degree programme in Architecture?
To gain admission to the bachelor’s degree programme in Architecture, candidates must have a general university entrance qualification or equivalent certificate (e.g. high school diploma, A-levels, etc.). Candidates must also pass a two-part aptitude assessment test administered by the university to ensure that the candidate possesses specific academic skills required for the study of Architecture. In addition to considering the average grade of your university entrance qualification, the admissions board evaluates your creative ability, constructive comprehension, artistic skills and spatial cognition – in short, the admissions board assesses your personal, subject-specific qualification for study.
We recommend that applicants complete an architecture-related internship of up to 12 weeks before applying. Such internships have a positive effect on the evaluation of the aptitude assessment test.
Candidates may only apply for enrolment in the winter semester.
Please consider that the B.Sc. Architecture is in German language. A proof of sufficient language proficiency for university study in Germany (DSH-2 or TestDaF TDN 4) will be required.
Application to participate in the aptitude assessment test
Please include the following with your application:
- Your solution to the questions which assess creative ability and constructive comprehension (download in June 2020)
- The online application form, completed and signed
- CV in tabular form with photo
- Letter of motivation, max. 1 page (DIN A4), describing your academic and professional goals
- Certified copy of your university entrance qualification (translated in German)
- Details regarding your prior education, particularly any preparation you have made for university study (in list form with certificates/references if possible; no portfolios please!)
- For international applicants: Proof of sufficient language proficiency for university study in Germany (DSH-2 or TestDaF TDN 4) - needs to be sent with application
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope (size DIN A4)
Submissions by fax or e-mail are not accepted.
Please send all required application materials by post to:
Dekanat der Fakultät Architektur
D-99421 Weimar (Germany)
The application deadline for participation in the next aptitude assessment test is 20 August 2020, which means the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar must receive all of your documents by 20 August at the latest, regardless of the postmark.
Aptitude assessment procedures
The two-part aptitude assessment test is comprised of the general university entrance qualification and an examination of the candidate’s subject-specific aptitude. Candidates fulfil the subject-specific prerequisites by attaining a total score of 60 out of 100 possible points. The candidates must achieve more than 35 points in the first part of the test to be allowed to participate in the second part.
Candidates are only eligible for the aptitude assessment test if all the application documents are complete and submitted on time. Therefore, please apply early! In this first part, candidates are assessed as follows:
- Average mark of the university entrance examination worth 51 %
- Application letter, letter of motivation and CV worth 4 %
- Subject-specific professional training or practical experience worth 5 %
- Your solution to the questions which assess creative ability and constructive comprehension worth 15 %
The second part of the aptitude assessment test takes place in Weimar sometime during the second half of July. Your physical presence is necessary to participate. Shortly after passing the first part of the test, you will be invited to Weimar to take the second part in the final weeks of July. At this session, the candidates are assessed as follows:
- Assessment of artistic ability and spatial cognition worth 15 % (the test questions are provided at the beginning of the test)
- Personal interview about your career outlook and personal professional qualifications worth 10 %
In cases of hardship or unusual circumstances, an alternative test date or test question can be arranged.
Candidates, who do not reside in Germany, can request to have the test questions sent by e-mail to them, which must be completed and returned by a certain date.
Students may only enrol in the bachelor’s degree programme in Architecture after passing the aptitude assessment test. The assessment results are sent to the candidates shortly after the second part of the test is completed. The assessment is valid only for the academic year for which the candidate has applied for enrolment.
If you have passed the aptitude assessment test, please send the following documents to the Student Office:
- Notification confirming that you have passed the aptitude assessment test
- Confirmation of valid health insurance cover along with the corresponding registration form from the health insurance provider
- Copy of transfer statement confirming payment of the semester contribution
- Confirmation of de-registration if you have already commenced study at another university
The enrolment period ends on 30 September each year. After you have officially enrolled, the Student Office will send you a package of relevant information and study materials. For more information about enrolment, click here.