Pursuing a doctorate at the Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism
A general overview of the doctoral programmes/opportunities at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar can be found at:
Step 1 - Establishing a Research Topic
Send a detailed proposal (exposé) of the envisaged doctoral thesis topic to your professor of choice. The subject of the doctorate thesis should comply with the overall profile of the Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism.
Step 2 - Registration as a Doctoral Candidate
Once the chosen professor has agreed in writing to be your advisor, the following documents can be submitted to the Graduate Admissions Committee for the Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar in order to be registered as a doctoral candidate:
1. An informal application should be submitted to the Graduate Admissions Committee requesting to be registered as a doctoral candidate for the Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism. The application must specify which degree is to be pursued: Dr.Ing. (engineering) or Dr.Phil. (humanities)
3. A one-page synopsis of the proposal for the committee (10 copies).
4. A letter of motivation describing why you would like to pursue a doctorate (max. 1 page; 10 copies).
5. Proof of eligibility for doctoral candidacy: certified translation of Diploma/Master’s certificate including the mark in German or English as well as a complete unauthenticated copy of the Diploma/Master’s certificate.
6. C.V. describing your scholastic and professional experience.
7. A detailed research proposal and the documents as required in 3 to 6 above must also be sent in electronic form (merged into one PDF file!) to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once all documents have been submitted, a decision regarding the registration will be made at the next meeting of the Graduate Admissions Committee. Once a decision has been made, the applicant will receive written notification.
Step 3 - Enrollment
Upon receiving written notification that you have been registered as a doctoral candidate at the Faculty of Architecture and Urbanism, you may enroll at the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar as a doctoral candidate using the online application portal: https://weimar.gomovein.com/locallogin/5873933e547cd0744f8b4567/eng
Step 4 - Submitting the Doctoral Thesis
Documents to be submitted to commence the doctoral examination procedure:
Please use this guide in addition to the requirements described in the Doctoral Regulations:
- Formless, written application to the chair of the graduation commission requesting the commencement of the doctoral procedure, in which three reviewers can be suggested.
- Formal application for commencement of the doctoral procedure. (This form is filled out by the secretary of the graduation commission upon submission of four hard cover copies of the dissertation.)
- Certified copy of last University degree.
- CV including a list of publications. (Please include in each bound copy for review as well as one loose copy)
- Summary of the major propositions of your thesis (max. 4 pages). The summary should include the following points:
- Problems addressed and aims of the dissertation
- Relevant current research in the scientific field
- Methods used
- Main results / outcomes reached
- Areas of potential further research
- Please submit a cover letter, and 10 copies of the summary.
- Proof of payment of the doctorate fee (100 )
Recipient: Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
Account Number: 300 4444 273
Bank identification number: 820 500 00
Reason of payment: 8914-11165-811100 / 51012-Promotionsgebühr
IBAN: DE 39 820 500 00 300 4444 273, SWIFT Code: HELA DE FF 820
Step 5 - Thesis Defence and completion of the Doctoral Examination Procedure
Following positive evaluations of the dissertation by at least two readers, the graduation commission will decide upon the admission of the dissertation.
The examination commission and an appointment for the disputation will be established.
Directly following a successful disputation, the examination commission concludes and announces the overall evaluation of the doctoral achievements, as well as possible conditional requirements for revision.
A form must be filled out after the disputation and submitted along with the obligatory copies to the University library. The appropriate form and further information can be found at the library website http://e-pub.uni-weimar.de/opus.php under Online-Publikations-System:
OPuS → Veröffentlichung in OpuS → Elektronische Dissertationen → Anmeldeformular → Dokumentenart: Dissertation wählen → Formular anfordern (documentation as described in the Doctorate Regulations §7 para 2 point 6).
This form must be filled out following the disputation and submitted with the obligatory copies to the university library. At the library you can find more information about the submission of electronic dissertations. Please direct any questions to the university library (Frau Heidi Körner Tel. 03643-582823 oder 582870, Mail: Heidi.Koerner@uni-weimar.de).
When any conditional requirements have been fulfilled, the obligatory copies of the dissertation should be submitted to the University Library.
Then the doctoral candidate receives his/her certificate and has the right to use the academic title.