This page gives detailed information on the application procedure for the Masters programme "European Urban Studies (M.Sc.)" for applicants from EU member states as well as applicants from Switzerland, Norway, Lichtenstein and Iceland.
Before you apply for the Masters programme, please check whether you fulfil the formal requirements for admission.
You are eligible to study the Masters programme if you
- have obtained a university degree (or similar) from a German or an international University with at least 180 CP in the disciplines of architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning / regional planning, urban design, geography, urban sociology, political, social and cultural sciences, European studies and all related disciplines. In case of doubt, the examination board determines upon qualification.
- can refer to a certain level of academic or professional experience shown through adequate works samples, text-based and visual, as well as through sample from your previous studies.
- have an advanced level of English language skills.
In order to apply for admission to the programme, you need to hand in the following documents and material:
! Please not that all documents are submitted online through the portal (no hard copy for the application)
Completed form from online-application (access online-portal here)
- Motivation letter
The motivation letter is a very important part of the application procedure. Please prepare it with great care! Your motivation letter (in English, up to 6500 characters with spaces) should focus on the following points:
What is your motivation for applying to the study programme European Urban Studies? (Why are you interested in the study programme ? What are your plans for the future and how should this study programme help you achieve your goals?)
How does your educational and professional background relate to the study programme? (What makes you a good candidate for this programme? What knowledge, skills and experiences do you have that are relevant to this programme?)
What are your specific research interests within the field of Urban Studies? (What issues are you most interested in? What problems would you like to examine in more depth? What would be a possible topic for your Master thesis?)
In addition, and voluntarily, you are encouraged to write and reflect on urban matters by submitting a small essay of one paragraph on a book/author related to urban studies and your reflections on this book/author (1600 characters with spaces maximum).
- Certificate of qualification for university entrance | copy
- University degree or similar qualification including all relevant study results (courses and grades) | certified copy
Documents not in German or English need to be submitted in a certified translated version, in German or English.
- Proof of English language proficiency according to B2 (minimum) of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages :
TOEFL-test, minimum 80 points (internet based)
Cambridge Certificate, (First Certificate FCE), Grade C
IELTS, Band 6,0
or others according CEFR B2.
Exceptions are possible, if studies have been completed in English or foreign exchange studies in English speaking countries can be proven through documents. | certified copy
The results of the online-test offered by th language Center can be used as Proof of English Language Proficiency in the application (update: March 2020).
- Your CV
- You are free to add additional documents like recommendation letters, work references, etc.
- If you want, additionally, you are invited to include a PDF file with samples from your previous study or professional work (portfolio) related to relevant fields of studies. The file may consist of works from your previous or current studies, from internships, from previous career, self-initiated projects, publications and/or volunteer work. We appreciate a short description of the projects in the portfolio. Please submit all samples in one single PDF file labelled with your last and first name through Uni-Assist. We appreciate portfolios that do not exceed 6 MB.
The application deadline mentioned on this page is the latest for online submission through the portal!
Admission and further steps
You will be informed on the results latest early in August. Due to the high number of applications, you are kindly asked to please abstain from contacting us regarding the results. You will be informed as soon as the examination board has finished its work.
If your application was considered positively, you will soon after also receive the official admission letter from the university. This document enables you to conduct all the administrative affairs such as visa-issues etc. And it is the precondition in order to enroll to the University for your Master Programme. Only after having enrolled, you actually become a student of the programme. Further information is available here . It is only possible to start your studies in winter term.