This page gives detailed information on the application procedure for the Master's Programme »Advanced Urbanism (M.Sc.)« in the Study Course »Integrated Urban Development and Design« for Non-EU applicants.
Before you apply for the Masters programme, please check whether you fulfil the formal requirements for admission.
You are eligible to study the Masters programme if you
- have obtained a university degree (or similar) from a German or a foreign University with at least 180 CP in the disciplines of architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning / town planning, urban design, environmental planning, regional planning, civil engineering, geography, urban and architectural sociology, environmental sciences, cultural studies and other disciplines relevant to the natural and built environment. In case of doubt, the examination board decides on the eligibility according to the specific qualification.
- can refer to a certain level of professional experience shown through adequate works samples, text-based and visual, as well as through sample from your previous studies.
- have an advanced level of English language skills.
In order to apply for admission to the programme, you need to submit the following documents and material through Uni-Assist which you will first need to register for as it is explained in the paragraph "Application Procedure" which you find further down on this page.
- Your letter of motivation | 1 page | signed
- As part of your application you are requested to include a PDF file with at least three samples from your previous study or professional work (portfolio) ideally related to relevant fields of studies. The file may consist of samples including, but not limited to:
- works from your previous or current studies (e.g. architectural or urban designs; visuals/text-based/text-supported, Masters or Bachelors thesis or seminar work etc., designs, writings, thesis)
- works from internships
- works from previous career
- self-initiated projects
- volunteer work
We appreciate a short description of the projects in the portfolio.
If you include team work, please indicate your role and your contribution within the team.
Applicants with a background in design and related fields would usually upload their portfolio.
Applicants from fields reliant on text work are asked to submit a short summary of 1-2 pages for each work sample. Do include graphs and images - if relevant. Please submit all samples in one single PDF file labelled with your last and first name through Uni-Assist. We appreciate portfolios that do not exceed 6 MB.
- Certificate of qualification for university entrance | certified copy
- University degree or similar qualifications including all relevant study results (courses and grades) if they are not listed in the degree documents | certified copy, documents not in German or English need to be submitted in a certified translated version, in German or English
- Proof of English language proficiency according to B2 (minimum) of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages :
TOEFL-test, minimum 80 points (internet based)
Cambridge Certificate, (First Certificate FCE), Grade C
IELTS, Band 6,0
or others according CEFR B2.
Exceptions are possible, if studies have been completed in English or foreign exchange studies in English speaking countries can be proven through documents | certified copy
- Your CV
You are free to chose the style of CV.
- You are also free to add additional documents like recommendation letters, work references etc.
- In addition, and voluntarily, you are encouraged to write and reflect on urban matters by submitting a small essay about one chapter of a book/author related to urbanism and your reflections on this book/author (800 words maximum).
Once you have made sure that you fulfil the prerequisites and are eligible to apply to the Masters programme »Advanced Urbanism« (M.Sc.) in the master's course "Integrated Urban Devlopment and Design IUDD (M.Sc.)", you can now proceed to apply through uni-assist.
In order to start the application process go to the following link to register with uni-assit.
You will be asked to provide your personal information and to create an account for further use. Once you have entered all information you will be sent a link that will activate your account.
Login & Further Information
As you activate your account, you'll be asked to enter further details. With that step taken, you will then be able to search for the Master's course programme »Integrated Urban Development and Design IUDD (M.Sc.)« and the sub-programme »Advanced Urbanism« (M.Sc.).
This search mask allows you to narrow down your search for the Master's programme you wish to apply for. Enter for example the name of the university and choose "Master" as the degree you wish to obtain.
Once you have chosen the right programme, it is time to create your application. In order to do so, you will be asked further questions. After you have uploaded all necessary documents, you are then asked to print off your form and to submit it online.
Please follow the instructions given by uni-assist. If there are any questions, please check out the following site: https://www.uni-assist.de/en/faqs/
Please note: There is no need to send hardcopies to our University. But as mentioned at the end of the application process you have to send the hardcopies to uni-assist.
The application deadline for »Advanced Urban Studies« (M.Sc.) for the winter semester starting October 2018 for non-EU students is 15th May 2018. This means that all material has to be arrived at Uni-Assist until that date at latest! It is recommended to apply earlier for a smooth process!