This page gives detailed information on the application procedure for the Masters programme "European Urban Studies (M.Sc.)" for Non-EU applicants.
Before you apply for the Masters programme, please check whether you fulfil the formal requirements for admission.
You are eligible to study the Masters programme if you
- have obtained a university degree (or similar) from a German or an international University with at least 180 CP in the disciplines of architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning / town planning, urban design, environmental planning, regional planning, civil engineering, geography, urban and architectural sociology, environmental sciences and other disciplines relevant to the natural and built environment. In case of doubt, the examination board determines upon qualification.
- can refer to a certain level of professional experience shown through adequate works samples, text-based and visual, as well as through sample from your previous studies.
- have an advanced level of English language skills.
In order to apply for admission to the programme, you need to submit the following documents and material through Uni-Assist which you will first need to register for as it is explained in the paragraph "Application Procedure" which you find further down on this page.
- Your letter of motivation | signed
If you want, additionally, you are invited to include one paragraph on a book/author related to urban studies and your reflections on this book/author, 800 words maximum
- As part of your application you are requested to include a PDF file with at least three samples from your previous study or professional work (portfolio) ideally related to relevant fields of studies. The file may consist of samples including, but not limited to:
- works from your previous or current studies (e.g. architectural or urban designs; visuals/text-based/text-supported, Masters or Bachelors thesis or seminar work etc., designs, writings, thesis)
- works from internships
- works from previous career
- self-initiated projects
- volunteer work
We appreciate a short description of the projects in the portfolio.
If you include team work, please indicate your role and your contribution within the team.
Applicants with a background in design and related fields would usually upload their portfolio.
Applicants from fields reliant on text work are asked to submit a short summary of 1-2 pages for each work sample. Do include graphs and images - if relevant. Please submit all samples in one single PDF file labelled with your last and first name through Uni-Assist. We appreciate portfolios that do not exceed 6 MB.
- Certificate of qualification for university entrance | certified copy
- University degree or similar qualifications including all relevant study results (courses and grades) if they are not listed in the degree documents | certified copy, documents not in German or English need to be submitted in a certified translated version, in German or English
- Proof of English language proficiency:
TOEFL-test, minimum 550 points (paper based), 213 points (computer based) or 79 points (internet based)
Cambridge Certificate in advanced English, level C
IELTS, Band 6.0
UNIcert, level 3
Exceptions are possible, if studies have been completed in English or foreign exchange studies in English speaking countries can be proven through documents | certified copy
- Your CV
- You are also free to add additional material like recommendation letters, work references etc.
- In addition, and voluntarily, you are encouraged to write and reflect on urban matters by submitting a small essay of one paragraph on a book/author related to urban studies and your reflections on this book/author (800 words maximum).
Once you have made sure that you fulfil the prerequisites and are eligible to apply to the Masters programme "European Urban Studies (M.Sc.)", you can now proceed to apply through uni-assist.
In order to start the application process go to the following link to register with uni-assit.
You will be asked to provide your personal information and to create an account for further use. Once you have entered all information you will be sent a link that will activate your account.
Login & Further Information
As you activate your account, you'll be asked to enter further details. With that step taken, you will then be able to search for the Masters programme "European Urban Studies (M.Sc.)".
This search mask allows you to narrow down your search for the Masters programme you wish to apply for. Enter for example the name of the university and choose Master as the degree you wish to obtain.
Please note that momentarily the list of results will show the Masters programme "European Urban Studies" under its German name "Europäische Urbanistik".
Once you have choosen the right programme, it is time to create your application. In order to do so, you will be asked further questions. After you have uploaded all necessary documents, you are then asked to print off your form and to submit it online.
The application deadline for "European Urban Studies (M.Sc.)" for the winter semester starting October 2017 for non-EU students is 15th May 2017.